Sponsored Programs Education and Training
Sponsored Programs is committed to providing training and support to all faculty and staff involved in sponsored program activities and research administration. Education around sponsored program administration is often a combined effort among centralized units - Research Development Services (RDS), the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP), and various other regulatory offices engaged in the research administration process.
Training Heading link
Research Administrators Meetings
- OSP Submissions (November)
- NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy (September)
- UIC Purchasing and Contract Management for Research(July)
- Overview of OACIB Responsibilities(May)
- RAMM Federal Contracting and FAR (March)
- NIH Biographical Sketch and Other Support Changes (January)
- Budgeting Basics & Budget Dilemmas (January)
- MTA (February)
- Sponsored Award Closeout (March)
- The Role of The Clinical Research Finance Office (CRFO) in Activating a New Study (April)
- What You Need to Know about Single IRB (May)
- Technology Control Plans (June)
- Departmental Research Administration (July)
- Cost Transfers (August)
- Academic Technology Commercialization (September)
- Just-in-Time Procedures (October)
- Office of Sponsored Programs – Pre Award (January)
- Federal Contracts – A Post Award Central Office Perspective (February)
- AY21 Kick off Meeting (August)
- New Subaward Templates and Submission Tips ( September)
- Foreign Influence in University Research (October)
- Uniform Guidance Update (November)
- Research Development Services & Office of Postdoctoral Affairs (February)
- Research vs. Non-Research & IRB Approvals (March)
- IRB Determination Handouts (March)
- Identifying COI Using MyProposals (April)
- Working with the Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations (May)
- Preparing for an Audit (July)
- Foreign Influence on University Research (August)
- Overviewof the System Government Costing Office: What Services Do We Provide & Who Needs Them? (September)
- Hot Topics in Post Award Administration (November)
- Federal Agency Updates (February)
- Pre/Post Award Guidance on PI Departures (March)
- Sponsored Project Closeout (April)
- Demystifying the Carryover Process (May)
- Office of Procurement Diversity (June)
- State Contracting (June)
- Identifying Unallowable Costs on Sponsored Projects (July)
- Cost Transfers on Sponsored Projects (August)
- Just-In-Time Requests (September)
- Clinical Trial Budgeting (October)
- Subawards & Subrecipient Monitoring (November)
NIH K-Awards -- Understanding Terms and Conditions (GC401)
This training course is intended to reach all investigators and administrators who have obtained NIH Career Development K-Award funding. From the grant management perspective, many situations are not black and white and not all post-award questions are answered in the NIH Grant Policy Statement.
The terms of K-awards vary from program to program, from agency to agency, and even from award to award. Therefore, the terms of the individual K-awards should govern the administration of these types of awards.
The K-Award recipient is ultimately responsible for adhering to the terms and conditions of the K-Award.
The goal of this training course is to identify common pitfalls associated with managing a K-Award and to provide some guidance on how to avoid compliance issues in administering your award.
This course is only available online via the Learning Management System (LMS). To locate this course, browse the LMS catalog for GC401.
ORS Open Labs
OSP offers weekly Open Labs to address any question you may have about the sponsored project process at UIC. These sessions are fully customizable to your needs and designed to provide one-on-one assistance on a range of topics which may include:
- myResearch Portal
- OSP forms
- Budget creation
- Other questions related to the Proposal or Contract process
Open Labs are available in AOB at 1737 West Polk Street. Please indicate the topic you would like to discuss on the RSVP form.
If you would like to schedule a customized small group session on a different day of the week or time of day or if you have any questions, please contact Peggy Diskin at email@example.com.
Shared Resources and OSP Guidance
This Box folder includes copies of guidance & resources shared by the Office of Sponsored Programs. It also houses resources developed by units on campus such as budget templates, effort calculators, etc. You can share additional tools and resources by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
UIC Research Related Training Heading link
Research Related Training
- Effort Reporting System & Training
- Responsible Conduct in Research (RCR)
- Collaborative IRB Training Initiative (CITI)
- IRB – Investigator 101
- Animals and Research at UIC – What Investigators Need to Know and Why?
- COI Training for HHS/PHS/NIH Investigators and Key Research Personnel
- Environmental Health and Safety Office