facts and figures
UIC ranks among the nation’s leading research universities and is Chicago’s largest university with 33,000 students, 12,000 faculty and staff, 16 colleges, and the state’s major public health system.
The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research (OVCR) believes that research is fundamental to the success and mission of the University of Illinois at Chicago and its students, faculty, staff, and postdocs. We strive to grow, promote, advance, and safeguard research at UIC by conducting world-class research that advances the field of knowledge both locally and globally. We strive to accomplish this in three very distinct goal areas:
- Fostering inter-disciplinary partnerships across campus including providing funding for new initiatives and emerging ideas such as the Campus Research Board, Chancellor’s Discovery Fund, Bridge Funding, Ignite Funding and other seed funding as deemed necessary to act as a catalyst for new research.
- Working with the colleges to develop and sustain research areas of strength that leverage existing talent.
- Developing regional, national, and international partnerships with industry, government, and academia.
- Expanding research opportunities and resources that attract and support a robust number of postdoctoral fellows and to provide support and guidance for these fellows during their tenure at UIC.
- Providing opportunities for undergraduate students to present their research at the Student Research Forum.
- Providing our principal investigators a sustaining environment where research can flourish. We place a very high priority on the creation and operation of quality research services and research resources designed to assist faculty. This includes providing research services through RRC Cores and BRL vivarium, staffed with trained personnel providing help and training for our student and faculty users.
- Provide exceptional service to the research community that is proactive, friendly, effective and responsive.
- Assisting faculty in obtaining and managing sponsored research grants through assistance with applications and administration of awarded funds.
- Developing an electronic research administrative platform that will unify all research submissions and compliance activities, further reducing the administrative burden placed on PI’s and streamlining the operations of the OVCR.
- Ensuring that the University complies with applicable research regulations and meets regulatory compliance for grant management, human subjects, animals and COCI mandates while at the same time remaining cognizant of the administrative burden born by faculty.
- Providing training to Colleges and Departments in all areas of research compliance to reduce the likelihood of faculty engaging in conduct resulting in serious and damaging consequences for themselves and the Institution.
By investing, facilitating and ensuring the integrity of the exceptional research of UIC, the OVCR is committed to the ambitious, aspirational and collaborative spirit and commitment of the mission and vision of the University of Illinois as a major comprehensive land grant research university of the 21st century.
Total Funded Awards
Year Total Dollars Total Number FY 2017 $339,507,736 2,011 FY 2018 $338,549,154 2,055 FY 2019 $385,106,969 2,037 FY 2020 * $410,817,255 2,084
*does not include federal or state COVID-19 emergency funding
FY 2020 Awards Received by Sponsor Type
Sponsor Type Total Dollar DHHS $171,434,872 NSF $42,799,656 Other Federal $93,820,718 Non Federal $102,762,009
FY 2020 Awards Received by Sponsor TypeFY 2020
FY 2020 Awards Received by College
College Name Total Dollar College of Applied Health Sciences $12,295,434 College of Architecture, Design, and the Arts $506,200 College of Business Administration $516,493 College of Dentistry $7,295,367 College of Education $13,518,673 College of Engineering $36,713,515 College of Liberal Arts and Sciences $44,432,587 College of Medicine Chicago $165,237,306 College of Medicine at Peoria/Rockford $8,602,108 College of Nursing $13,402,743 College of Pharmacy $21,467,294 College of Urban Planning and Public Affairs $3,479,694 Jane Addams College of Social Work $3,093,806 John Marshall Law School $2,756,699 Library $40,737 School of Public Health $23,968,059 UI Cancer Center $20,705,215 Other $32,785,323 TOTAL $410,817,255
UIC Federal and Total Expenditures by Year
UIC Federal and Total Expenditures by Year
FY09–FY17 Federal Research Awards Portfolio
Source: myResearch. Please note that FY09 and FY10 include a combined $84M in ARRA funding.
*FY17 includes federal flow-through