Grants are awarded to institutions, not individuals. Therefore, the relinquishing institution must agree to transfer awards if/when the PI moves to another institution. It is recommended that the PI and departmental administrator begin the formal process of requesting the transfer of the grant at least 60 days in advance of moving to the new institution. The awarding agency must approve all grant transfers from one organization to another.
- Review your award and review sponsor specific information required to submit a grant transfer.
- Submit a “Request for PI Award Transfer/Relinquishment” form to OSP via OSPWeb along with any sponsor required documents.
- Coordinate with Office of Sponsored Programs for Final Financial Report if applicable.
- Review information from previous institution that could include a final relinquishing statement and other transfer documents.
- Prepare the transfer application to the sponsor
- Complete a new myProposals proposal transmittal as this is a new application to UIC.