The Transition to UIC Research will affect Submission Deadlines for ALL Human Subject (IRB) Research in June and July
OPRS What’s New:
The Transition to UIC Research will affect Submission Deadlines for ALL Human Subject (IRB) Research in June and July.
With the transition from OPRS Live to UIC Research, OPRS will stop accepting submissions for a brief period during the month of June. Refer to the calendar below for the deadlines of the various types of submissions.
- OPRS Live will close to new submissions (i.e., initial review, continuing review, amendment) of the following nature on:
- Convened submissions at the end of business on June 1, 2022 and
- Expedited and External IRB (i.e., WIRB/WCG, NCI CIRB, sIRB) submissions on June 10.
- Response submissions ONLY will continue to be accepted via OPRS Live through July 1, 2022.
- OPRS will begin accepting new Initial submissions via UIC Research on June 28, 2022.
- Continuing Reviews that will expire on or before July 13th must be submitted to OPRS no later than June 1, 2022. This is necessary in order to prevent a lapse in IRB approval during the transition period.
- For continuing review submissions that require review by the convened IRB, investigators should follow the IRB meeting deadlines to ensure that the submission is scheduled for review at an IRB meeting prior to the protocol expiration date.
- Existing convened and expedited protocols that do not have a submission in process in OPRS Live (i.e., continuing reviews, amendments, etc.) will be available in UIC Research beginning June 28, 2022.
- Research that has been granted an exemption prior to June 28, 2022 will not be transitioned to the UIC Research system. Any amendments to existing exempt studies will require a new initial submission in the UIC Research system.
- Existing protocols that have a submission in process (i.e., not yet approved, conditions/modifications required) will not be transitioned to UIC Research until the pending submission is approved.
- Responses for in-process submissions must be made by July 1, 2022. If the in-process submission is not approved within two weeks of this deadline, the main protocol may be transitioned to UIC Research without the in-process submission, and the pending submission will require re-submission in the new system.
- OPRS Live will remain active as a read-only application following the transition to UIC Research. Investigators will continue to have access to historical submissions and documents in OPRS Live.
For more information, refer to the UIC Research Information page at: https://research.uic.edu/coi-irb/