Important steps in the proposal approval process:
- PI/Department researches funding opportunities.
- PI/department prepares the proposal, completes the UIC Proposal Approval Form (PAF), and obtains all appropriate signatures that are listed on the PAF for the PI, co-investigators, department heads, deans, and for use of hospitals/clinics/MRI Center, if applicable. PAF’s will not be accepted or reviewed without ALL appropriate signatures.
- PI/ department submits to ORS the required documents for proposal packet as outlined under ORS Required Documents. For Grants.gov submissions, the PI/department forwards the completed Grants.gov file to email@example.com, referencing the institutional number in the email.
- ORS reviews and identifies any issues that require revision.
- ORS provides institutional endorsement of the proposal and in the case of a hardcopy submission returns it to the PI/Department for mailing. If submission is required by the authorized official/business office, ORS forwards the proposal to the sponsor via their applicable electronic system.
Tips for Avoiding Delays:
Multiple departments, colleges, or units involved
Signatures from the PI, Co-PIs/Co-investigators and all unit heads are required on the PAF. Please allow enough time to obtain all signatures prior to routing the PAF to ORS. Be sure to discuss and agree upon the distribution of F&A, and any commitments at the college level.
If the PI is also the department or unit head, he/she cannot sign the PAF or the IDC Waiver Form where a department or unit head signature is required. Instead, the individual to whom the PI reports to must sign.
If F&A costs (also known as Indirect Costs) are limited by the sponsor, you must submit a Request for Waiver/Variance of Indirect Cost Form and supporting sponsor guidelines with your PAF and proposal. Please allow additional time for proper review and consideration of waivers during proposal review.
Proposals involving animals, human subjects, rDNA, infectious agents or toxins, or make use of UIC hospitals, clinics or MRI Center all require special approvals.
- For animal research, an ACC protocol “pending” status is required at the time of submission unless sponsor requires approval at the time of application submission*.
- For human subject research, an IRB protocol "pending" status required at the time of submission unless sponsor requires approval at the time of application submission*.
- For research at UIC hospitals or clinics, the Hospital Administration Office (1400 UIH) must approve and sign the PAF prior to submission to ORS.
- For use of the MRI Center (1801 W. Taylor Street), the Center must approve and sign the PAF prior to submission to ORS.
*For more on this policy, please see OVCR policy regarding protocol matches.
Discuss and review the budget and sponsor application forms-especially contract proposals-with your business manager or consult with ORS if necessary. With the various sponsor requirements, the most common delays stem from incorrect application of F&A rates in budgets, fringe benefit rates, employee salaries, incomplete forms, and other sponsor requirements.