- The OVCR charges a processing/administrative fee for the UIC IRB review of all industry sponsored human subject research. Charging industry sponsors for their share of the costs associated with the IRB review process allows UIC to continue to provide the level of service required by our faculty. This policy is consistent with practices at the majority of research universities.
- Protocol Processing Fee Structure. These fees apply only to industry sponsored research involving human subjects submitted for review by the UIC IRB. Research involving human subjects supported by federal, foundation, division, or department funds will not incur these fees. The amount of all fees will be reviewed annually by the OVCR and are subject to change. The IRB fees can be found on the OPRS website.
- Budget Preparation. All PIs submitting industry sponsored human subject research protocols for review by the UIC IRB should include a line item in the clinical trial agreement/study budget for the IRB review fees. Facilities and University administrative costs (i.e., indirect cost/ICR/F&A) will not be applied to the IRB review fees. Payment of these IRB review fees is considered a contractual obligation of the sponsor.
- Payment of Protocol Processing Fees.
- These processing fees are assessments of real costs associated with protocol review by the IRB and are charged regardless of IRB approval or eventual project funding status.
- The PI is required to provide a FOAPAL code, indicating which account OVCR should charge the fees associated with IRB review, on the initial submission application form for each industry-sponsored protocol submitted to the UIC IRB. The OVCR will bill the account at the time of protocol review.
|Version (#, date)
||Replaces (#, date)
||Summary of changes
||Re-formatted for clarity
||Clarifies policy that IRB fee is charged
regardless of project funding
||Re-formatted to new policy template
||Increased IRB fees; changed billing
||Increased IRB fees; changed contact person
||Increased IRB fees.
||Removal of fee table; addition of hyperlink to website.