Approved by: Approved by: Human Protections Administrator, Director of OPRS, and Executive IRB Chair
AAHRPP REF#: 101
AAHRPP Elements: I.1.B
- UIC’s institutional authority for the Human Subject Protection Program (HSPP) rests with the Chancellor of UIC who, by example and mandate, sets the tone that supports the primacy of human subjects protections through the principles embodied in The Belmont Report.
- The Chancellor has delegated this authority to the Vice Chancellor for Research (VCR), who serves as the Institutional Official (IO). The VCR is generally responsible for the UIC HSPP, including but not limited to:
- Ensures that IRB members and investigators are appropriately knowledgeable to conduct research in accordance with ethical standards and all applicable regulations;
- Develops and implements an educational plan for IRB members, staff, and investigators;
- Is the signatory official for all assurances; and
- Fulfills all educational requirements mandated by OHRP.
- The IO is directly involved in the allocation of resources to the HSPP. (See UIC HSPP policies Evaluation of Resources and Workload and University of Illinois at Chicago Human Subjects Protection Program Plan).
- The VCR has assigned the role of the Human Protections Administrator (HPA) to the Director of the Office for the Protection of Research Subjects (OPRS). The HPA is the primary contact person for human subject protection issues, including the investigation and reporting of non-compliance matters, and plays a key role in ensuring that UIC fulfills its responsibilities under its FWA.
Version (#, date) Replaces (#, date) Summary of changes 1.1, 06/18/09 1.0, 10/15/08 Clarified IO responsibilities.
Removal of Executive Committee reference.
Version (#, date)
Replaces (#, date)
Summary of changes
Clarified IO responsibilities.