Approved by: Human Protections Administrator, Director of OPRS, and Executive IRB Chair
AAHRPP REF#: 142
AAHRPP Elements: II.2.D.2., II.2.E.2.
- The OPRS utilizes several measures to notify the PI of continuing review for previously approved human subjects research in the following manner:
- Approval letters to investigators include an attachment reminding investigators that they are responsible for ensuring that a continuing review application or final report is submitted to OPRS prior to the expiration date to prevent a lapse of IRB approval.
- Investigators receive reminders from OPRS at 90, 60, and 30-days prior to the expiration of the approval period.
- PIs and faculty sponsors are ultimately responsible for being aware of the expiration date of the protocol and for the timely submission of continuing review materials. (See UIC HSPP policy Continuing Review).
- The AD for each IRB monitors the status of the board’s protocols weekly through the RISC database management software and ensure reminders are sent at 90, 60, and 30 days before expiration and expiration and closure letters after the expiration date. The reminders are also posted to RiSC Web for individuals with protocol-specific access privileges.