The Theory Institute in Atomic, Molecular and Optical (AMO) Physics will be a center to advance theoretical AMO physics and lead in motivating and explaining new experimental work in AMO and other areas of science. The goal of this institute is to foster cutting edge research, serve as a focus for theoretical AMO science, and to enhance the visibility of the field. It will bring together diverse groups both inside and outside of the AMO community to promote connections leading to frontier science, while fostering a vibrant environment at all levels from student to senior investigator. Funding for the institute is designed to foster major breakthroughs at the intellectual frontier of AMO physics by providing resources beyond those available to individual investigators or small groups, in an environment in which the collective efforts of the larger group can be shown to be seminal to promoting significant progress in the science and the education of students. Although interdisciplinary aspects may be included, the bulk of the effort must fall within theoretical atomic, molecular, and optical physics within the purview of the Division of Physics. The successful institute will demonstrate: (1) the potential to advance AMO science; (2) creative, substantive activities aimed at enhancing education, diversity, and public outreach; (3) potential for broader impacts, e.g., impacts on other field(s) and benefits to society; and (4) a synergy or value-added rationale that justifies a center- or institute-like approach.
The center award is expected to be at the level of $500K-$1M/year. At most, one award is expected in FY 2015 depending upon the availability of funds and the quality of proposals received. Awards will be made for five years, with an option to apply for a 5-year renewal.
UIC is allowed one submission.
|UIC Letter of Intent||
June 19, 2014
|UIC Internal Competition||
|Sponsor Letter of Intent||
December 8, 2014
Letter of Intent
Depending upon the number of LOIs submitted, OVCR might be required to facilitate an internal peer review process to select UIC’s submission(s) to this program. White paper instructions will be posted if necessary.
eLOI Form & Instructions
- Download the file directly to your computer or to a disk, right click on the link, then select "save link as" or "save target as" from the dropdown options.
- Open eLOI.
- Position the hand pointer inside a form field and click.
- To accept the field change and go to the next field, press Tab or use your mouse to click on the next form field.
- To accept the field change and go to the previous field, press Shift + Tab or use your mouse to click on the previous form field.
- Complete the form fields.
- After completing the form, click “Save” then click “Submit to RDS@uic.edu”.
Letter of Intent (LOI): eLOI Form (Fillable PDF*)
- Fields highlighted in red are required to successfully submit the form.
- Do not print then submit scanned version of e-LOI via email.
Please contact Tony Halford at email@example.com or 6-7036 with any questions.
If an authorized principal investigator is not listed above, please consider the limited competition still open. Contact RDS@uic.edu for further information.