This program supports the active involvement of K-12 science, technology, engineering, computer and information science, and mathematics (STEM) teachers and community college faculty in engineering and computer science research in order to bring knowledge of engineering, computer science, and technological innovation into their classrooms. The goal is to help build long-term collaborative partnerships between K-12 STEM teachers, community college faculty, and the NSF university research community by involving the teachers and community college faculty in engineering and computer science research and helping them translate their research experiences and new knowledge into classroom activities. Partnerships with inner city schools or other high needs schools are especially encouraged, as is participation by underrepresented minorities, women, and persons with disabilities.
This announcement features two mechanisms for support of in-service and pre-service K-12 STEM teachers and community college faculty: RET supplements to ongoing ENG or CISE awards and new RET Site awards. RET supplements may be included in proposals for new or renewed NSF Directorate for Engineering (ENG) or CISE grants or as supplements to ongoing NSF ENG or CISE funded projects. RET in Engineering and Computer Science Sites are based on independent proposals from engineering or computer and information science departments, schools or colleges to initiate and conduct research participation projects for a number of K-12 STEM teachers and/or community college faculty.
UIC is allowed three site proposals which can only be submitted by a College/Department of Engineering, Engineering Technology, or Computer and Information Science.
|UIC Letter of Intent||
July 10, 2014
|UIC Internal Competition||
|Sponsor Letter of Intent||
October 6, 2014
Letter of Intent
Depending upon the number of LOIs submitted, OVCR might be required to facilitate an internal peer review process to select UIC’s submission(s) to this program. White paper instructions will be posted if necessary.
eLOI Form & Instructions
- Download the file directly to your computer or to a disk, right click on the link, then select "save link as" or "save target as" from the dropdown options.
- Open eLOI.
- Position the hand pointer inside a form field and click.
- To accept the field change and go to the next field, press Tab or use your mouse to click on the next form field.
- To accept the field change and go to the previous field, press Shift + Tab or use your mouse to click on the previous form field.
- Complete the form fields.
- After completing the form, click “Save” then click “Submit to RDS@uic.edu”.
Letter of Intent (LOI): eLOI Form (Fillable PDF*)
- Fields highlighted in red are required to successfully submit the form.
- Do not print then submit scanned version of e-LOI via email.
Please contact Tony Halford at email@example.com or 6-7036 with any questions.
If an authorized principal investigator is not listed above, please consider the limited competition still open. Contact RDS@uic.edu for further information.